John Rothery is a Dublin man, who grew up in Woodside on the Dublin mountains. He attended Synge Street CBS and was awarded a scholarship to UCD in 1946 where he studied architecture. He worked in Michael Scott’s architectural practice for five years, and then spent some time in South Africa before returning to work in Dublin for five years with the OPW. In 1971 he was appointed lecturer at Bolton Street, having worked in private practice for the previous seven years, while teaching part-time at Bolton Street. He discusses his tenure as full-time lecturer for 22 years, which included his involvement in the setting up of an exchange programme with foreign students. He also discusses the projects which were put in place over his years in Bolton Street. He retired in the early 1990s and now is working on his writings and art.