Sister Cora Ferriter is a Mercy Sister, who hails from west Kerry. She entered the convent in 1956, and she attended Carysfort College and graduated as a teacher. She taught in Coolock for two-and-a-half years, and then spent a short time teaching in Drimnagh. She studied for her B.A. And H.Dip. At UCD, and in 1963 she volunteered to work as a missionary sister in Nairobi. Until 1976 she remained there teaching secondary school students, and she describes the place, and the fact that she was one of the first white women to teach there. She became involved in the physical work of building a school and a hospital. A significant advance to the local population came about, due to her presence, as she taught home sciences and languages. In 1976 she returned to Ireland and began to teach at Carysfort College for a short time, and then took charge of the Dublin Mercy Group for six years, at a time when many changes were instigated. She then returned to Nairobi where she continued to teach until 1994.