Other information

Diarmuid Shanley, b. 1942

6.9910.00

Description

Track 1: His background in Dublin and early education. Commenced undergraduate studies in dentistry at University College Dublin in 1961. At the time, three separate dental schools, UCD, TCD and RCSI shared the Dublin Dental Hospital in Lincoln Place for the clinical training of dental students. These were amalgamated into the School of Dental Science Trinity College, Dublin in 1977. Track 2: Graduating in 1966, he began practice in Coleraine, before moving to the Universities of Philadelphia and Indiana in the United States to undertake postgraduate studies. He moved to Liverpool in 1970 to take up a lectureship post for three years, whilst pursuing further studies and Fellowships in RCS Edinburgh and Ireland. Track 3: Returning to Ireland in 1973, he was appointed to the positions of senior lecturer in Trinity College Dublin. Educational facilities and staffing at the time were inadequate for students; there were unacceptably high failure rates in the final examinations and low morale. Track 4: He was elected Director of the School of Dental Science in 1980, Dean of Dental Affairs (1985–2000), and Chairman of Board of the Dental Hospital (1990–2000). During this period he led a team which brought fundamental curricular reforms, evolving to problem-based learning. He reorganised the governance structures of school and hospital and led the project to replace the Victorian building with a RIBA award-winning new building. He contributed to the convergence of global standards in dental education as Secretary General and President of both the European Association for Dental Education and the International Federation of Dental Educators and Associations. He was promoted to a personal Chair in College in 1989 and conferred with honorary doctorates Oslo University and Vrije University, Amsterdam. He was elected Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences (2002–2005), with particular responsibility for the School of Physic (Medicine). Track 5: The re-building of the Dublin Dental School and Hospital had been promised since 1954 and this resulted in the Government considering either a rebuild of the institution or closure, with significant political involvement. Five different sets of plans had previously been withdrawn due to funding problems. Track 6: Chair of the Project Committee formed to rebuild the Hospital in Lincoln Place, and members of that Committee who assisted in this process. Track 7: Following retirement in 2005, he was part-time Associate Dean of the Dugoni School of Dentistry, San Francisco (2007–2009); he is currently Chairman of the Board of St. James’s Hospital.

Clear

Description

Track 1: His background in Dublin and early education. Commenced undergraduate studies in dentistry at University College Dublin in 1961. At the time, three separate dental schools, UCD, TCD and RCSI shared the Dublin Dental Hospital in Lincoln Place for the clinical training of dental students. These were amalgamated into the School of Dental Science Trinity College, Dublin in 1977. Track 2: Graduating in 1966, he began practice in Coleraine, before moving to the Universities of Philadelphia and Indiana in the United States to undertake postgraduate studies. He moved to Liverpool in 1970 to take up a lectureship post for three years, whilst pursuing further studies and Fellowships in RCS Edinburgh and Ireland. Track 3: Returning to Ireland in 1973, he was appointed to the positions of senior lecturer in Trinity College Dublin. Educational facilities and staffing at the time were inadequate for students; there were unacceptably high failure rates in the final examinations and low morale. Track 4: He was elected Director of the School of Dental Science in 1980, Dean of Dental Affairs (1985–2000), and Chairman of Board of the Dental Hospital (1990–2000). During this period he led a team which brought fundamental curricular reforms, evolving to problem-based learning. He reorganised the governance structures of school and hospital and led the project to replace the Victorian building with a RIBA award-winning new building. He contributed to the convergence of global standards in dental education as Secretary General and President of both the European Association for Dental Education and the International Federation of Dental Educators and Associations. He was promoted to a personal Chair in College in 1989 and conferred with honorary doctorates Oslo University and Vrije University, Amsterdam. He was elected Dean of the Faculty of Health Sciences (2002–2005), with particular responsibility for the School of Physic (Medicine). Track 5: The re-building of the Dublin Dental School and Hospital had been promised since 1954 and this resulted in the Government considering either a rebuild of the institution or closure, with significant political involvement. Five different sets of plans had previously been withdrawn due to funding problems. Track 6: Chair of the Project Committee formed to rebuild the Hospital in Lincoln Place, and members of that Committee who assisted in this process. Track 7: Following retirement in 2005, he was part-time Associate Dean of the Dugoni School of Dentistry, San Francisco (2007–2009); he is currently Chairman of the Board of St. James’s Hospital.

Additional information

Type:

Disk, MP3

Audio series:

Trinity College, Dublin, Collection

Bitrate:

160

Download time limit:

48 hours

File size(s):

18.09 MB, 6.07 MB, 7.89 MB, 22.48 MB, 17.47 MB

Number of files:

3

Product ID:

CDTCD01-37

Subject:

Fellow Emeritus, Professor of Oral Health

Recorded by:

Maurice O’Keeffe – Irish Life and Lore

Subscribe to our Newsletter

    • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Sponsors of our work Include

Our Sponsors View all sponsors