Con Manning is employed by the Office of Public Works, in the National Monument Service for the last thirty years. He grew up in Glen Cottage, Dunbell from 1957. His father was a Customs and Excise officer, who was a compulsive reader in a house full of books, mainly on local history. He recalls the history of Glen Cottage which at one time was occupied by the Prim family. The Dower House, the Hunting Lodge and the main house were built originally by the Andersons. Con Manning always had a huge interest in history and archaeology and he graduated with a master’s degree in Archaeology from UCD. He worked with Dr Tom Fanning on the Kells Priory excavation, and also at Riask in County Kerry from 1972-75. He feels very privileged to have had this wonderful opportunity and to work with this great mentor. He also worked on the excavations at Wood Quay in Dublin, and he discusses the work undertaken there. In 1978 he began his employment with the OPW and he provides his thoughts on the very rich archaeological source we have in Ireland. He at present holds the post of Vice President of the Kildare Archaeological and Historical Society, and will shortly assume the role of President.